Posted On 09 Jan 2019
MSMA2, ESCP & Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modelling Workshops for 2019
Announcing the dates and venues of the MSMA2, ESCP & Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modelling Workshops for 2019 as follows:
MSMA2 Workshop A- MSMA2 Compliance & OSD Design Workshop
IEM (PJ): 13-15 May, 2019
IEM (Kuching): 6-8 May, 2019
MSMA2 Workshop B- Detention Basin Design Workshop
IEM (PJ): 16-17 May, 2019
IEM (Kuching): 9-10 May, 2019
Workshop C- Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESCP) Workshop
IEM (PJ): 24-26 June, 2019
IEM (Kuching): 17-19 June, 2019
Workshop D- Hydrologic & Hydraulic Modelling Using HEC-HMS & HEC-RAS Software by the U.S. Hydrologic Engineering Center
IEM (PJ): 8-10 April, 2019
IEM (Kuching): 15-17 April, 2019
We do offer special discounts for Early Birds and Group Discounts for companies. Please refer to Section 6 below for the rates.
If you are in a hurry, or you prefer to read a printed brochure, go ahead and download it from:
1. Key Topics Covered in the Workshop:
The key topics covered in the Workshop include the following:
- Urban Stormwater Management Manual for Malaysia (MSMA).
- Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESCP).
- Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modelling.
- Design Storm, Rational Method, Time-Area Method.
- On-Site Detention (OSD) Design.
- Detention Basin Design.
- Wet/Dry Sediment Basins Design.
- Drainage Design and Stormwater Management.
- Preparation of ESCP Plan for submission.
- Practical Hands-On Case Studies.
- Learn how to do drainage design on your laptop using Excel spreadsheet templates which you can use for your work (worth RM2,380).
2. Workshop Details:
The details of the workshop are summarised in the following table:
|A||MSMA2 Workshop A- MSMA2 Compliance & OSD Design Workshop||13-15 May 2019||6-8 May 2019|
|B||MSMA2 Workshop B- Detention Basin Design Workshop||16-17 May 2019||9-10 May 2019|
|C||Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESCP) Workshop||24-26 Jun 2019||17-19 Jun 2019|
|D||Hydrologic & Hydraulic Modelling Using HEC-HMS & HEC-RAS
Software by the U.S. Hydrologic Engineering Center
|8-10 Apr 2019||15-17 Apr 2019|
3. Workshop Content:
The Content of Workshops A, B, C and D are as follows:
3.1 MSMA2 Workshop A- MSMA2 Compliance & OSD Design Workshop (Workshop A)
Day 1: Introduction to MSMA. Concept of major/minor storms. Design for water quantity and quality control in MSMA2. Design storm ARI’s for various types of land developments. Changes between the first and second editions of MSMA in terms of key design parameters including: storm intensities, temporal patterns, design peak discharges, and storage volumes of OSD, detention basins and sediment basins.
Day 2: Hands-on training on how to perform basic hydrological computations using Excel spreadsheets. Three basic computations involving rainfall and runoff in MSMA are covered: (1) Design storm IDF (Intensity-Duration-Frequency) curves and temporal patterns, (2) Design peak discharges via the Rational Method and (3) Design hydrograph via the Time-Area Method. Participants will learn through step-by-step worked examples.
Day 3: Design of OSD (On-Site Detention) using three different approaches: Swinburne’s Method (SM) in MSMA1, Approximate Swinburne’s Method (ASM) in MSMA2 and Exact Swinburne’s Method (ESM). ASM generally gives about 2-3 times higher SSR (Site Storage Requirement) than SM, while ESM appears to give more realistic estimates of SSR. Participants will perform the design of the OSD based on the spreadsheet templates given to them.
3.2 MSMA2 Workshop B- Detention Basin Design Workshop (Workshop B)
Day 1: Introduction to the design of detention basin. The Level-Pool routing method is solved using spreadsheet. The solution requires an understanding of the storage and rating curves for the detention basin. Participants will learn to develop the storage curve from site survey data, and the rating curve based on the types of basin outlets.
Day 2: Hands-on training on how to compute the inflow hydrographs of various ARI and durations to the detention basin by combining the design storm and the Time-Area Method spreadsheets in Workshop A. The design storm spreadsheet computes the design storms for input to the Time-Area Method spreadsheet that generates the inflow hydrographs to the detention basin, which are then routed through the detention basin via the Level-Pool routing spreadsheet to give estimates of the outflow hydrographs and water levels. Participants will perform the design of detention basin using the spreadsheet templates given to them. They will learn how to interpret the results of the spreadsheets for the design of the basin.
The MSMA2 Workshops consists of Workshop A and B. You can choose to attend Workshop A and B, or Workshop A or Workshop B alone. But it is highly recommended for those who want to attend Workshop B to attend Workshop A first as Workshop B requires knowledge of subject matters covered in Workshop A.
3.3 Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESCP) Workshop (Workshop C)
Day 1: Introduction to ESCP in MSMA2. Rules and regulations on erosion and sediment control. Erosion and sedimentation processes. Erosion and sediment control principles. Erosion and sediment control BMPs including erosion control BMPs, runoff management BMPs and sediment control BMPs.
Day 2: Participants will learn how to estimate soil loss using the Universal Soil Loss Equation (USLE) and sediment yield using the Modified Universal Soil Loss Equation (MUSLE). They will also learn about stormwater management in erosion and sediment control including the computation of design storm intensities and peak discharges based on the Rational Method. Participants will also learn to design wet/dry sediment basins using spreadsheets.
Day 3: Preparation of Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and ESCP site inspection checklist. On Day 3, participants will be divided into groups to undertake a real case study involving a large mixed development project in an environmentally sensitive area. Each group will prepare a report and an ESCP Plan for the project site. They will present their proposal to the class at the end of the workshop.
3.4 Hydrologic & Hydraulic Modelling Using HEC-HMS & HEC-RAS Software by the U.S. Hydrologic Engineering Center (Workshop D)
Day 1: Hydrologic Modelling using HEC-HMS software. The concept of runoff routing and when it is applied to compute the runoff hydrograph from a catchment. Theories of hydrologic modeling in HEC-HMS Model. The free public domain software which is recommended in MSMA is developed by the US Army Corps of Engineers Hydrologic Engineering Center. HEC-HMS can be used together with HEC-RAS model to estimate flood hydrographs and levels based on backwater curves analysis. This approach is commonly used in flood studies and in designs or analyses involving long channels and rivers.
Day 2: Hydraulic Modelling using HEC-RAS software. The concept of backwater computation and when it is applied to compute flood levels. Find out how to perform backwater curve analysis using HEC-RAS. Covers the theory of hydraulic modeling using HEC-RAS. Principles of solving energy equation using standard step method.
Day 3: Practical hands-on training using HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS software based on a real case study. Learn how to apply the HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS models via practical worked examples. Participants will learn through a step-by-step guide how to perform data preparation, calibration and validation, analysis, error debugging using the online help, plotting graphs, generating output data and interpretation of results.
4. About the Workshop:
- Workshops A, B, C & D will be held at IEM in Petaling Jaya and Kuching on the dates shown above.
- Special discount for early birds and group discounts for companies are as shown above.
- Lecture notes, lunch and two teas will be provided daily.
- Workshops start at 8:30 am and finish at 5:00 pm daily.
- Please check our website http://workshops.msmam.com for updated details about the Workshop.
- Payment and Refund Policy: Full payment must be received within 7 days after booking via email. Money paid is not refundable, but a substitution may be made at any time. Full refund if the Workshop is cancelled for whatever reasons.
- We will email/SMS/Whatsapp the Final Workshop Details with map two weeks before the Workshop date.
- Please confirm your attendance by replying to the Final Workshop Details email.
- Please make your flight and hotel booking only after you have received the Final Workshop Details from us.
- Payment receipts and certificates of attendance will be issued to all participants at the workshop.
- Workshop is accredited by BEM with 6 CPD Hours per day (#Pending)
In order to quality for the CPD hours, BEM requires all participants to sign their attendance daily.
- Any enquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/SMS/Whatsapp us at 012-2812590.
5. Key Benefits of Attending the Workshop:
- It is required by law for all engineers in Malaysia to design drainage works to comply with the requirements of MSMA2 and to submit an ESCP.
- You will learn the changes in the second edition (MSMA2) compared to the first edition of MSMA.
- You will learn how to optimize your design of On-Site Detention (OSD), detention basin and sediment basins.
- You will learn a different approach of computing OSD that will reduce the storage significantly compared to MSMA2.
- Learn how to prepare an ESCP by working in small groups using a real case study of a mixed development site.
- Understand the various Best Management Practices (BMPs) for common construction activities.
- Learn about hydrologic and hydraulic modelling using Free Public Domain Software HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS which are both recommended software in MSMA.
- Workshop conducted by Ir. Dr. Quek Keng Hong- an expert with 30 years of industry experience in drainage design.
- You will receive powerful tools that will make your design more cost effective.
- You will apply the theories you learned to solve real design problems using spreadsheet templates on your own laptop PC in the workshop.
- You will get Excel spreadsheet templates worth more than RM2,380 for free which you can use in your work.
- You will gain 6 CPD hours per day (pending) by attending the workshops.
- You will get special discount for MSMAware software to be announced at the workshop.
6. Early Bird and Group Discounts:
|For Payment Made in the Month of:||
* No of participants.
NB. To enjoy the above Special Early Bird & Group Discounts, full payment must be made within 7 days.
How to sign up?
Just 3 easy steps to book your place:
- Step (1): Download the brochure at http://workshop12.msmam.com
- Step (2): Fill up the registration form.
- Step (3): Fax/email it in.
Sign up now to enjoy the early bird and group discounts.
If you any queries, please call/SMS/whatsapp me now at 012-2812590!
Please fill up the attached registration form and email to us now!